Top 10 Books Every Beekeeper Should Read
Beekeeping is a very rewarding hobby. Bees are wonderful creatures who pollinate plants and keep our earth luscious and green. Due to our efforts in keeping the number of bees alive to combat global warming, we can find so many books and information out there that can teach us about the ins and outs of beekeeping.
From newbie to advanced beekeepers, here are the top 10 books every beekeeper should read:
1. The Beekeeper’s Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes andamp; Other Home Uses- This comprehensive book contains an abundance of information from the history of bees, a guide to beekeeping, and even a recipe section with honey-themed recipes.
2. The Backyard Beekeeper An Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden: The Backyard Keeper will teach you how to use top bar hives, control swarms, manage pests, treat bee problems, and how to keep your hives healthy and thriving.
For newbie beekeepers who wish to start beekeeping from their own backyard, this book will guide you through every facet of this hobby.
3. The Beekeeper’s Handbook: With 40 years of experience, this is the go-to guide for hobbyists and professionals alike. Packed with step-by-step instructions and over 100 illustrations, this easy to follow handbook can be enjoyed and followed by everyone.
4. Beekeeping for Dummies: This book will give you all the tips, tricks, tools and techniques required to be the true ‘queen bee’ of beekeeping. Rich in content, it is easy to follow and can be put in practice with minimal fuss. It follows traditional methods but also encourages new beekeepers to develop their own favorite methods.
5. Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping: This is a more technical read as it teaches the science and practice of bees and how to handle them properly. It covers a number of topics on bee biology and colony management.
6. Natural Beekeeping Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture: Due to the harmful use of toxic pesticides, most beekeepers are learning natural ways to control the spread of pests and this book will teach you just that.
7. Top-bar Beekeeping: Organic Practices for Honeybee Health- This book aims to highlight the advantages of top-bar hives with an interior that looks like the shape of a hollow log.
8. Build Your Own Beekeeping Equipment How to Construct 8 andamp; 10 Frame Hives: Learn how to craft your own beekeeping equipment with materials that are readily available around the house!
9. Beekeeping: An Easy Guide for Getting Started with Beekeeping- This book offers practical advice from the very first step of sourcing the bees, through the right equipment you need, until the last moment of harvesting and even how to prepare the hive for winter.
10. Homegrown Honey Bees: An Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Beekeeping Your First Year - With useful information and lots of illustrations, this is a beginner’s guide that will help you discover the fun and satisfaction of harvesting honey from your own backyard!
Read these books and gather knowledge on beekeeping before getting your hands on beekeeping business.