Honey bees need a good residence to flourish and they never bear any offensive conduct. If you are new to the...
How To Combine Your 2 Beehives
There are times when it becomes vital to combine two beehives to convert it into a robust colony. For example, when a beehive is queen-less, it is too weak, or else two hives are weak. Combining two beehives is definitely a simple and easy task. But this should be done gradually. Dumping the hives from one to another will not work at all. It takes time and the whole thing will happen slowly and gradually.
Merging two hives through a small piece of newspaper is very popular and this is called the newspaper method. This method is explained in details here. This process requires some stuff which are listed below.
Things Required for Combining Two Beehives:
· Solution of sugar syrup that should be fed to the bees after the process.
· A piece of newspaper and make sure it has three slits in it. This newspaper will allow exchanging of pheromones and scent between the two hives. This will restrict the fight between them and help in easy combining.
· Collect some wood piece or cement to keep in front of the hives.
Once you have prepared all the required stuff, start the combining job of two beehives. Follow the step by step process and you will be done in a week.
Steps to Combine Two Beehives:
· The first task is to identify the stronger and weaker hives of the two.
· Next, smoke and open the weaker hive. You need to manipulate the hive so as to wind up with a single deep hive body. Ensure that a single hive body contains at least 10 of the best frames with bees, brood, and honey. This is nothing but consolidating the bees and the ten best frames into a single deep hive.
· Repeat the same procedure for the stronger hive as well. Consolidate the bees in one deep box possible. You can have a max of 3 deep boxes to combine.
· Now remove the outer and inner cover of the stronger colony to keep that newspaper on top of it. This will allow the passing of odor back and forth between the two hives. You can use a tape to fix the newspaper if the weather is windy.
· Move the weaker hive to place it on top of the stronger hive. Do not forget to smoke both the hives heavily. This will calm down the bees to make the transition in a peaceful way.
· Cover the top of the combined hive.
· Now, place that sugar syrup at the top of the combined hive.
· Leave the two beehives in such position for a week. In a week, the bees will chew through the newspaper and will have combined successfully. There must be some eggs. The stronger queen will rule them and the weaker queen will be gone.
So, this is how to combine two beehives successfully. The best time to combine beehives is late in summer or early of autumn.
Leave a comment
Login to post comments